GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Hayton

"Hayton parish on the east side of the Idle, and intersected by the Chesterfield canal, comprises the hamlets of Hayton and Tilne, which contain 260 inhabitants, and 2610 acres of land, chiefly a strong clay soil, having abundance of gypsum underneath the hills, of which 775a 3r 31p are in Tilne; which is the only part of the parish mentioned in Doomsday Book, but the whole belongs to the Archbishop of York's fee of Sutton, commonly called the north soke of Southwell and Scrooby.
Hayton is a straggling village, pleasantly situated betwixt the canal and the Gainsboro' road, three miles N.N.E. from Retford. The church, dedicated to St Peter, is an ancient fabric, with a lofty tower and three bells; the living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4 15s 5d, now at £152. The Archbishop of York is the patron, and lord of the manor, and the Rev. William Mee incumbent. The tithe was commuted in March 1844, on 1184a 1r 4p of land, for £264 10s to the late Hon. J.B. Simpson, and £14 to Robert Hartshorn Barber Esq., as impropriators. At the enclosure of the commons in 1769, land was alloted in lieu of the great tithes of the Commons to the impropriator Lord George Cavendish, who sold his estates here to R.H. Barber Esq. and others; Mr Barber being subject to the reparation of the chancel of the church; the present owners are Henry Bridgeman Simpson, R.H. Barber, H.C. Hutchinson, F. Fearnley Esq. and others, with several resident owners."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Note: There is also a Hayton parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire.

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2413
1891 R.G. 12 / 2639
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

This village and parish are within the parliamentary borough of East Retford, about 141 miles north of London, 3 miles north-east of East Retford and 8 miles south-west of Gainsborough. The parish covers just over 2,400 acres. The Chesterfield Canal passes along the west side of the village. Tilne is a hamlet in the parish about 1 mile west of the village.

See what you can find of the old moated castle that used to stand here. If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1851 260
1871 252
1881 255
1891 252
1901 233
1911 205
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 6-February-2011 - Louis R. Mills]