Hickling is a large village and parish on the Grantham Canal, at the foot of the Wolds, near the Leicestershire border and the Vale of Belvoir, 12 miles south-east of Nottingham and 8 miles south by west of Bingham. In 1771, a farmer whilst ploughing near the village, found an urn containing about 200 Roman silver coins and medals, most of them of "the age of Vespasian". This discovery seems to confirm the opinion of Camden, that there has been a Roman station here. Fossils. chiefly shellfish, are often found here in the limestone.
The parish is called in Doomsday Book Echeling and Hegeling, and was partly soc to Cropwell and Granby. In contains 613 inhabitants and 2,663 acres of land, of the rateable value of £3,014 8s, which was enclosed in 1776, when 431a 0r 4p were allotted in lieu of tithes, in addition to 62a 0r 4p of ancient glebe. The principal land owners are the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln, Mr Marshall, Mr Collishaw, Mr Eaton, Mr Robert Hardyard and Mr Mason, and several other freeholders, but Earl Manvers is the lord paramount.
The parish church is dedicated to St Luke, and has a fine lofty tower with four bells and a clock. A stone coffin, bearing a Runic inscription, was found some years ago under the chancel. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's books at £18 8s 4d, now £600, and is in the patronage of Queen's College, Cambridge, to which it was given in 1676 by the widow of Dr Bardsey. The Rev. William Henry Walker B.A. is the incumbent. On February 22nd 1840, an organ was erected by subscription, at a cost of £160. The Wesleyan Methodists have a neat chapel here, rebuilt in 1848.
The school has an endowment of 15s yearly, left by J. Westby and Robert Mann, to which the inhabitants subscribe for the education of 15 poor children. A National School was built in 1838. Five small benefactions producing 25s yearly have been left to the poor of this parish, by Robert and William Mann, Richard Smith, William Marriott and John Faulkes. At the rectory house is a spring of mineral water, each gallon of which contains as follows: insoluble matter 0.30, vegetable 0.23, common salt 4.83, sulph. soda 12.38 and carbonic soda 7.65 - total 25.41.
Ball, Joseph, policeman Bonser, John, carpenter Burnett, Thos., joiner & wheelwrght Clay, William, shoemaker Collishaw, John, Wharfinger and coal dealer Collishaw, Robert, shopkeeper Collishaw, William, Wheelwright and joiner Corner, Robert, shoemaker Corner, Septimus, shoemaker Daft, John, parish clerk Daft, Misses Elizabeth & Hannah Davis, MR. Joseph Dickman, Henry, boat owner Dickman, Robert, shoemaker Featherstone, J., boarding academy Freek, Robert, baker & flour dealer Green, William Frederick, baker Harby, William, shoemaker Herrick, Samuel, shoemaker Hives, Abigail, vict, Plough Holmes, J., shopkpr, & boat owner Hourd, William, corn miller Hopkinson, John, shopkeeper Lovett, Henry, tailer Magson, John, tailor and draper Maltby, Elizabeth, dressmaker Maltby, Samuel, bricklayer Mann, John, victllr., Wheat Sheaf Mann, Mary, school Murden, Martha, dressmaker Murden, William, blacksmith Parr, Richard, victualler, Wheel Inn Park, Miss Sarah Shaw, John, harness maker Shipman, Mrs. Ann Shipman, John, vict. & wharfinger, Navigation Inn Spencer, Wm., coal dealer Starbuck, Joseph, tailor Walker, Rev. Wm. Hy., B.A., rector Wilford, Mary, dressmaker Farmers. Bell, John Blount, Wm. Brett, Robt., Folly Hall Collishaw, Jno.,& butcher Collishaw, Wm. Daft, Thomas Davis, John Dickman, Wm. Easton, Richard Hardy, Paul Hardy, Robert Hives, Abigail, (graxier) Hopkinson, Wm. Innocent, Fras., & maltster Maltby, Joseph Mann, George Mann, Richard Mann, Samuel Marshall, Samuel Oxby, Charles Ridge, Thomas Rose, John Shipman, John Thompson, Joseph Thruman, Jno. Wells, Rd., Guy Wild, John Wild, Wm., Lodge Wooley, John Carriers to Nottingham. Richd. Copley, sat., & Melton tues. Richard Mann, wed. and sat. John Marsh, wed and sat.
[Transcribed by Clive Henly]