Hickling is a large village and parish on the Grantham Canal, at the foot of the Wolds, near the Leicestershire border and the Vale of Belvoir, 12 miles south-east of Nottingham and 8 miles south by west of Bingham. In 1771, a farmer whilst ploughing near the village, found an urn containing about 200 Roman silver coins and medals, most of them of "the age of Vespasian". This discovery seems to confirm the opinion of Camden, that there has been a Roman station here. Fossils. chiefly shellfish, are often found here in the limestone.
The parish is called in Doomsday Book Echeling and Hegeling, and was partly soc to Cropwell and Granby. In contains 613 inhabitants and 2,663 acres of land, of the rateable value of £3,014 8s, which was enclosed in 1776, when 431a 0r 4p were allotted in lieu of tithes, in addition to 62a 0r 4p of ancient glebe. The principal land owners are the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln, Mr Marshall, Mr Collishaw, Mr Eaton, Mr Robert Hardyard and Mr Mason, and several other freeholders, but Earl Manvers is the lord paramount.
The parish church is dedicated to St Luke, and has a fine lofty tower with four bells and a clock. A stone coffin, bearing a Runic inscription, was found some years ago under the chancel. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's books at £18 8s 4d, now £600, and is in the patronage of Queen's College, Cambridge, to which it was given in 1676 by the widow of Dr Bardsey. The Rev. William Henry Walker B.A. is the incumbent. On February 22nd 1840, an organ was erected by subscription, at a cost of £160. The Wesleyan Methodists have a neat chapel here, rebuilt in 1848.
The school has an endowment of 15s yearly, left by J. Westby and Robert Mann, to which the inhabitants subscribe for the education of 15 poor children. A National School was built in 1838. Five small benefactions producing 25s yearly have been left to the poor of this parish, by Robert and William Mann, Richard Smith, William Marriott and John Faulkes. At the rectory house is a spring of mineral water, each gallon of which contains as follows: insoluble matter 0.30, vegetable 0.23, common salt 4.83, sulph. soda 12.38 and carbonic soda 7.65 - total 25.41.
Ball, Joseph, policeman
Bonser, John, carpenter
Burnett, Thos., joiner & wheelwrght
Clay, William, shoemaker
Collishaw, John, Wharfinger and coal dealer
Collishaw, Robert, shopkeeper
Collishaw, William, Wheelwright and joiner
Corner, Robert, shoemaker
Corner, Septimus, shoemaker
Daft, John, parish clerk
Daft, Misses Elizabeth & Hannah
Davis, MR. Joseph
Dickman, Henry, boat owner
Dickman, Robert, shoemaker
Featherstone, J., boarding academy
Freek, Robert, baker & flour dealer
Green, William Frederick, baker
Harby, William, shoemaker
Herrick, Samuel, shoemaker
Hives, Abigail, vict, Plough
Holmes, J., shopkpr, & boat owner
Hourd, William, corn miller
Hopkinson, John, shopkeeper
Lovett, Henry, tailer
Magson, John, tailor and draper
Maltby, Elizabeth, dressmaker
Maltby, Samuel, bricklayer
Mann, John, victllr., Wheat Sheaf
Mann, Mary, school
Murden, Martha, dressmaker
Murden, William, blacksmith
Parr, Richard, victualler, Wheel Inn
Park, Miss Sarah
Shaw, John, harness maker
Shipman, Mrs. Ann
Shipman, John, vict. & wharfinger, Navigation Inn
Spencer, Wm., coal dealer
Starbuck, Joseph, tailor
Walker, Rev. Wm. Hy., B.A., rector
Wilford, Mary, dressmaker
Brett, Robt., Folly Hall
Collishaw, Jno.,& butcher
Hives, Abigail, (graxier)
Innocent, Fras., & maltster
Wells, Rd., Guy
Wild, Wm., Lodge
Carriers to Nottingham.
Richd. Copley, sat., & Melton tues.
Richard Mann, wed. and sat.
John Marsh, wed and sat.
White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853