GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Hickling

"Hickling is a large village and parish on the Grantham Canal, at the foot of the Wolds, near the Leicestershire border and the Vale of Belvoir, 12 miles south-east of Nottingham and 8 miles south by west of Bingham. In 1771, a farmer whilst ploughing near the village, found an urn containing about 200 Roman silver coins and medals, most of them of "the age of Vespasian". This discovery seems to confirm the opinion of Camden, that there has been a Roman station here. Fossils, chiefly shellfish, are often found here in the limestone.
The parish is called in Doomsday Book Eeheling and Hegeling, and was partly soc to Cropwell and Granby. It contains 613 inhabitants and 2,663 acres of land, of the rateable value of £3,014 8s, which was enclosed in 1776, when 431a 0r 4p were allotted in lieu of tithes, in addition to 62a 0r 4p of ancient glebe. The principal land owners are the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln, Mr Marshall, Mr Collishaw, Mr Eaton, Mr Robert Hardyard and Mr Mason, and several other freeholders, but Earl Manvers is the lord paramount.
The parish church is dedicated to St Luke, and has a fine lofty tower with four bells and a clock. A stone coffin, bearing a Runic inscription, was found some years ago under the chancel."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Note: There is another Hickling in Norfork County, England.

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2485
1891 R.G. 12 / 2718
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

This village and parish are just east of the Vale of Belvoir. Leicestershire forms the eastern border and Kinoulton parish is to the north. The parish lies 8 miles north-west of Melton Mowbray and 12 miles south-east of Nottingham city. The parish covers 2,866 acres.

The old Grantham Canal passes through the north end of the village. There is a large turn basin next to the main road, but the canal here is unused these days, except by swans and ducks. If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Population
1801 391
1841 581
1851 613
1861 642
1871 559
1881 498
1891 448
1901 426
1911 357
1921 399
1931 394
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 24-February-2014 - Louis R. Mills]