"Hockerton is a small village, two miles north by east of Southwell, and contains 106 inhabitants and 1,045 acres of land. It was owned by Johannes de Walor in 1183, and afterwards passed by the families of Botiler and Criche, and is now the property of Major General Whetham, who succeeded to the estate of the late Admiral Southeron in 1839. He is the entire owner of the land and lord of the manor, and also patron of the rectory, which is valued in the King's books at £9 9s 4½d, now at £244. The Rev. John P. Mills is the incumbent, who resides at the rectory house, a newly erected building adjoining the church. The rector has 50 acres of ancient glebe, and receives £192 in lieu of tithes.
The church is a small structure, with a tower and three bells, and is dedicated to St Nicholas. It was repewed in 1843. A neat school was built in 1843 by Major General Whetham, who also supports the teacher. Hockerton Moor is a farm house, on an elevated situation, nearly a mile and a half west of the village."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]