"Hockerton is a small village, two miles north by east of Southwell, and contains 106 inhabitants and 1,045 acres of land. It was owned by Johannes de Walor in 1183, and afterwards passed by the families of Botiler and Criche, and is now the property of Major General Whetham, who succeeded to the estate of the late Admiral Southeron in 1839. He is the entire owner of the land and lord of the manor, and also patron of the rectory, which is valued in the King's books at £9 9s 4½d, now at £244. The Rev. John P. Mills is the incumbent, who resides at the rectory house, a newly erected building adjoining the church. The rector has 50 acres of ancient glebe, and receives £192 in lieu of tithes. The church is a small structure, with a tower and three bells, and is dedicated to St Nicholas. It was repewed in 1843. A neat school was built in 1843 by Major General Whetham, who also supports the teacher. Hockerton Moor is a farm house, on an elevated situation, nearly a mile and a half west of the village."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2472|
Hockerton is a small village and a parish on the high road from Mansfield to Newark (the A617). It is 6 miles northwest of Newark and 11 miles southeast of Mansfield. The parish covers about 1,350 acres.
If you are planning a visit:
Year Inhabitants 1801 100 1851 114 1861 108 1871 110 1881 101 1891 68 1901 79 1911 66 1921 72 1931 70
Follow this link to Find help, report problems, or contribute information