"HOLME, a parish in Southwell district, Notts; on the river Trent, adjacent to the Great Northern railway, 3½ miles N of Newark. Post town, Newark. Acres, 1,330. Real property, £1,912. Pop., 121. Houses, 26. The manor belongs to the Duke of Newcastle. Holme Hall was, in the middle of the 17th century, the residence of Lord Bellasis; and has, ever since then, been inhabited by the Wells family. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Langford, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £172. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge.
The church is ancient; consists of nave, chancel, and S aisle, with a tower; contains several very ancient monuments, one to Lord Bellasis, and some to the Bartons; and has, over its porch, "Nan Scott's Chamber, " to which a woman of that name fled from the great plague."
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales." 1870-72]