GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Holme

"HOLME, a parish in Southwell district, Notts; on the river Trent, adjacent to the Great Northern railway, 3 miles N of Newark. Post town, Newark. Acres, 1,330. Real property, £1,912. Pop., 121. Houses, 26. The manor belongs to the Duke of Newcastle. Holme Hall was, in the middle of the 17th century, the residence of Lord Bellasis; and has, ever since then, been inhabited by the Wells family. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Langford, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £172. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is ancient; consists of nave, chancel, and S aisle, with a tower; contains several very ancient monuments, one to Lord Bellasis, and some to the Bartons; and has, over its porch, "Nan Scott's Chamber, " to which a woman of that name fled from the great plague."
[John Marius Wilson's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales." 1870-72]

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2474
1891 R.G. 12 / 2710
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Holme is both a parish and a village on the east bank of the River Trent. The parish lies 128 miles north of London and 3.5 miles north of Newark-on-Trent. The parish covers 1,128 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

Manors

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1861 121
1871 107
1881 127
1891 100
1901 100
1911 94
1921 73
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 29-March-2014 - Louis R. Mills]