"Hoveringham is a pleasant village and parish near the Trent, between Nottingham and Newark, five miles south by west of Southwell. Its parish comprises 408 inhabitants and 850 acres of land. Near the village there is a ferry across the Trent to Kneeton. In the reign on Henry III it was possessed by Hugh de Hoveringham, and afterwards passed to the Goushill family, by whom a great part of the estate was given to Thurgarton Priory, from which it passed to Trinity College Cambridge, which has since received other lands in lieu of the tithes. This parish was tithe free for upwards of 70 years until 1851, when four shillings per acre was laid on as tithe, but it is the opinion of all the freeholders that it is not legal. In 1795, many old writings and documents which were deposited in the church were destroyed by the great flood. It is supposed that thw writings belonging to the land which was set apart in lieu of the tithes were amongst them. Sir Richard Sutton, Bart., is lessee of the manorial rights, and of 647 acres of college land, which was held by the Cooper family, from the time of the Reformation till 1830. There are about 20 freeholders in the parish. The church is a small, ancient structure, dedicated to St Michael, and is in the patronage of the same college. It is a perpetual curacy, was valued at £60, and is annexed to that of Thurgarton." [WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
Hoveringham is both a village and a parish near the Trent River, about 5 miles south from Southwell, 1.5 miles east of Lowdham, 10 miles north-east of Nottingham and 140 miles north of London. The parish is between Nottingham city and Newark. The parish covers 934 acres.
If you are planning a visit:
By automobile, The village is just off the old Roman Foss Way (now the A46 trunk road). But it is easier to take the A612 north out of Lowdham (or, starting further south, north out of Nottingham city) and at Gonalston, turn east (right) to Hoveringham.
At last report, there is no passenger rail service to Hoveringham.
You can see pictures of Hoveringham which are provided by: