Hoveringham is a pleasant village and parish near the Trent, between Nottingham and Newark, five miles south by west of Southwell. Its parish comprises 408 inhabitants and 850 acres of land. Near the village there is a ferry across the Trent to Kneeton.
In the reign on Henry III it was possessed by Hugh de Hoveringham, and afterwards passed to the Goushill family, by whom a great part of the estate was given to Thurgarton Priory, from which it passed to Trinity College Cambridge, which has since received other lands in lieu of the tithes. This parish was tithe free for upwards of 70 years until 1851, when four shillings per acre was laid on as tithe, but it is the opinion of all the freeholders that it is not legal. In 1795, many old writings and documents which were deposited in the church were destroyed by the great flood. It is supposed that thw writings belonging to the land which was set apart in lieu of the tithes were amongst them. Sir Richard Sutton, Bart., is lessee of the manorial rights, and of 647 acres of college land, which was held by the Cooper family, from the time of the Reformation till 1830. There are about 20 freeholders in the parish.
The church is a small, ancient structure, dedicated to St Michael, and is in the patronage of the same college. It is a perpetual curacy, was valued at £60, and is annexed to that of Thurgarton. The two livings had recently been augmented to the value of £450 by trinity College, Cambridge. The church contains some ancient monuments of the Goushill family. One to Thomas Goushill is dated 1393, and near to it is a tomb got Sir Robert Goushill, and the Duchess of norfolk, his lady, upon which are their statues. The tomb has been beautifully ornamented with the arms of the Leeks, Babingtons, and others. They have recently been removed to the south west end of the church. In a field at the back of the church is a spa, formerly celebrated for its medicinal virtues, it was filled up about 25 years ago. There is a small chapel erected by the Wesleyans. The feast is on the Sunday after Old Michaelmas Day. There is a neat National School, erected in 1851.
[Transcribed by Clive Henly]