"BROXTOW, a hamlet and a hundred in Notts. The hamlet is in Bilbrough parish, 3¼ miles NW of Nottingham; and was once a parish. The hundred lies around the hamlet; extends 23 miles northward from the Trent, and 22 eastward from Derbyshire; and is cut into two divisions, North and South. The N. division contains sixteen parishes. Acres, 51,836. Pop. in 1851, 48,653. The S. division contains also sixteen parishes. Acres, 30,253. Pop. in 1851, 35,483. Pop. of both in 1861, 88,886. Houses, 18,600."
[John Marius Wilson's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72]
Broxtowe is both an ancient politcal entity called a Wapentake or Hundred and a small hamlet in Nottinghamshire.
A Wapentake was usually named after a prominent landmark or meeting place, typically an open field where many men could gather. A county may have just three or four wapentakes, or as many as a dozen if it were large enough. And, of course, wapentakes did not trouble themselves with our modern county boundaries.
There are not a lot of family history records organized by Wapentake, but a lot of older archival records are. If you are in a library or archive office, do not overlook the wapentake records as sources.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information