GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Keyworth

"Keyworth village and parish is situated seven miles south by east of Nottingham, and contains 667 inhabitants and 1,530 acres of land, on the north side of the Wolds. It was enclosed in 1798, when 214 acres were allotted in lieu of tithes, and 6a 4r 12p to the church, which now lets for £12 5s 8d a year. Lord Rancliffe's heirs own about 180 acres, and are lords of the manor and patrons of the rectory, but the next presentation is sold to the Rev. Thomas Dodson of Wimeswold. Here are several estates belonging to Mr Attenborow, Mr W. Flinders, Mr Hemsley, Mr Bebb and others. The church, dedicated to St Mary Magdalen, has a curious tower, surmounted by an octagonal spire. The Rev. I.H. Hall is the incumbent, and the Rev. L.P.B. Dykes is the curate. The poor's land, 4a 1r 12p, is let off in half rood sections to the resident poor of the parish. The interest of £10, left by an unknown donor, is paid to four poor widows at Whitsuntide. The Independents have a chapel here, built in 1768, and the Primitive Methodists erected one in 1828. An annual feast is held on Whit Monday."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2486
1891 R.G. 12 / 2718
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Keyworth is a village and a parish on a hilltop on the west bank of the River Soar about 117 miles north of London, 7 miles south-east of Nottingham, 13 miles north-west of Melton Mowbray and 6 miles north-north-east of Loughborough in Leicestershire. The parish covers 1,530 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Military Records

Private Henry MARRIOTT of the Sherwood Foresters, killed in action in 1917, is burried in the churchyard.

You can read the list of names from the War Memorial at this Nottinghamshire Council website.

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

Keyworth was developed in the 1950s through 1970s period and the village is now a commuter town for workers in Nottingham city.

A boundary change in 1984 brought a large part of Normanton into Keyworth parish and increased its population by 2,000 overnight.

    Year Population
1801 325
1811 401
1821 454
1831 552
1841 576
1851 667
1871 794
1881 893
1891 771
1901 789
1911 787
1921 836
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Societies

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 24-February-2014 - Louis R. Mills]