Kilvington, 7½ miles south of Newark, is a hamlet and parish comprised in three farms, with only 27 inhabitants, and 480 acres of land, of which 142 were allotted for the tithes at the enclosure in 1750. The duke of Portland is the principal owner and lord of the manor. The Rev. John Gorden is the incumbent of the rectory, which is valued in the King's books at £6 12s 1d; and was consolidated with the Staunton rectory in 1826, when the church was so dilapidated, and the chancel a roofless ruin, that seat room was provided for the inhabitants in the neighbouring church at Staunton. The church was rebuilt in 1852, on the old site, at the sole expense of the present owner. The farmers are Thomas Allen, grazier; William Marshall and William Wilson.
Alverton township is mostly in Staunton parish, and contains only 25 inhabitants, and 900 acres of land. It is 8 miles south by east of Newark. It was enclosed in 1806, when 60 acres were allotted in lieu of tithes. The rest belongs to the Duke of Postland, who is lord of the manor. Its two farmers are John Algernon Andrews and Joseph Sadeson. A feast is held on the Sunday after September 19th.
White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853