GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Kimberley

As described in 1871:
"KIMBERLEY, a hamlet and a chapelry in Greasley parish, Notts. The hamlet lies 2 miles NE of Ilkeston r. station, 2 E of the Erewash river and canal at the boundary with Derby, and 5 NW of Nottingham; and has a post office under Nottingham. The chapelry was constituted in 1848. Pop. in 1861, 2, 821. Houses, 573. The property is subdivided. Framework knitting and coal mining are largely carried on; and there are two breweries and a large corn mill. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, 170. Patron, the Vicar of Greasley. The church was built in 1847, at a cost of 2, 300; and the parsonage was built in 1852, at a cost of upwards of 1.100. There are chapels for Primitive Methodists and New Connexion Methodists, and a British school."
[John Marius Wilson's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72]

Note: Kimberley is NOT an ancient parish of Nottinghamshire. It was formed as a Civil Parish in 1896 from a chapelry in Greasley parish.

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1891 R.G. 12 / 2659 & 2660
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

This village and parish lie 137 miles north of London, about 6 miles north-west of Nottingham and about 1 mile south of Wastwood. The parish covers 838 acres and includes the village of Babbington, Newthorpe Common and part of Hill Top. On the South side of Kimberley lies Swingate, which has many different walking and cycling routes into the woods and surrounding countryside.

If you are planning a visit to the village:

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

Return to top of page

Politics and Governance

Return to top of page.

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1861 2,821
1891 4,798
1901 5,129
1911 5,174
1921 5,158
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 6-February-2014 - Louis R. Mills]