"Kirkby-In-Ashfield, five miles south west of Mansfield, is a considerable village and parish, where a great portion of the inhabitants are employed as framework knitters. The bobbin net trade, which employed so many hands twenty years ago, has completely left the village. The parish, which includes many small hamlets, and in which the rivers Mann and Erewash have their sources, contains 2363 inhabitants, and 5590 acres of land, of the rateable value of £5310, of which 2023 acres were not included until 1793, when 1050 acres were alloted to the rector in lieu of tithes, in addition to 200 acres of ancient glebe.
The Duke of Portland is the principal owner and lord of the manor, which passed from the Stotevilles to the Cavendishes; but D'Ewes Coke, William S. Coke and J. Clark Esqs., and Mrs Catherine Hodgkinson, have estates in this parish. Sir Charles Cavendish began to build a great house in this lordship on a hill by the forest side, near Annesley Woodhouse where, being assaulted by Sir John Stanhope and his man, as he was viewing the work, he resolved to leave off his building, because some blood had been split in the quarrel, which was then very hot between these two families."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2433|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2661 & 2662|
If you are planning a visit:
Year Inhabitants 1801 1,002 1851 2,363 1871 3,075 1881 4,212 1891 10,392
Find help, report problems, or contribute information