"Kirklington is a rural village and parish, on the north side of the little River Greet, in the liberty of Southwell and Scrooby, three miles north-west by north of Southwell. It comprises 276 inhabitants and 2,146 acres of land, consisting chiefly of a strong, clayey soil, with a portion of sand near the forest, and is of the rateable value of £2,020. Major-General John Whetham is lord of the manor, and owner of all the land, except Belle Eau Park, 1½ miles north-west of the village, containing 327 acres, which belongs to Earl Manvers. This ancient farm house in the park was formerly surrounded by a double moat, the remains of which are still visible.
Kirklington Hall, the beautiful seat of Major-General John Whetham, is situated a little north of the village, on the western declivity of a gentle eminence. It is delightfully embosomed in woods and thriving plantations, and bounded in the distance by fine eminences, which succeed each other in pleasing order."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
Caution: There is another Kirklington parish in the West Riding, Yorkshire.
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2472|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2708|
This parish, township and village lie 3 miles northwest of Southwell and 8 miles northwest of Newark. The parish covers about 2,000 acres and includes several mineral springs.
The village sits on the north side of the little River Greet. If you are planning a visit:
Year Inhabitants 1801 140 1841 280 1861 241 1871 205 1881 220 1891 168 1901 182 1911 218 1921 226 1931 227
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.