"Kneesall Parish comprises the three lordships of Kneesall, Kersall and Ompton, the latter of which is in the South Clay division of the Bassetlaw Hundred.
Kneesall is a considerable village, situated on a gentle declivity on the Newark and Ollerton Road, nine miles north-north-west of the former, and four miles east-south-east of the latter, and has within a few years been considerably improved by the building and rebuilding of several neat houses. It contains 382 inhabitants and 2,197a 0r 28p of land, of the rateable value of £1,993 13s 6d. Earl Manvers is the lord of the manor and owner, with the exception of about 50 acres in small freeholds, and a small portion of copyhold held under the Chapter of Southwell, on small certain fines, and a court is held at Michaelmas.
The church, dedicated to St Bartholomew, is a vicarage, valued in the King's books at £10, now £150 10s 0d, having been augmented by a grant from Queen Anne's Bounty, and has a curacy of Boughton annexed. It is in the patronage and appropriation of the Chapter of Southwell, under whom Earl Manvers is lessee, and the Rev. John Chell A.B. is the incumbent. The church is an ancient structure with nave, chancel, side aisles, tower and tree bells, and is about to undergo considerable repairs."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1841||H.O. 107 / 866|
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2474|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2709|
Kneesall is a village and a parish that sits in the east of Nottinghamshire, about 9 miles north-west of Newark on Trent and 4 miles south-east of Ollerton. The parish covers 3,360 acres and includes the townships (lordships) of Kneesall, Kersall and Ompton (or Almpton) Ompton is in the Bassetlaw Wapentake. Laxton parish lies to the north-east.
If you are planning a visit:
Year Kneesall Kersall Ompton 1801 368 50 69 1851 382 109 109 1861 360 83 - 1881 400 59 58 1901 250 57 55
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.