"Lambley parish, seven miles north-east of Nottingham, has a large irregularly built village, situated at the head of a steep valley, sheltered by an amphitheatre of hills. The parish has 951 inhabitants and 2,170 acres of fertile land, the rateable value of which is £2,673 8s. About 600 acres of land were enclosed in 1793, previous to which other enclosures had taken place.
Lambley House is a handsome mansion, delightfully situated on a gentle and well-wooded eminence, one mile north-west of the village, and is the seat and property of Samuel Matthews Esq., who purchased this estate with the manorial rights in 1843, from Lewin Chomley Esq. The other principal owners are Earl Manvers, Mr William Taylor, Mr John Godber and others, besides an estae belonging to a hospital in Nottingham. Many of the inhabitants find employment in the hosiery trade, there being upwards of 400 frames in the village.
The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is a small ancient structure with a low tower. The rectory is valued in the King's books at £10 16s 3d, and has 90a 2r 11p of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1843 for £580. The Rev. H.E.C. Cobden M.A. is the incumbent, and the eldest son of the late Rev. A.D. Flamstead is the patron."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2444|
Lambley is 138 miles norh of London, only 6 miles north-east from the City of Nottingham and only 2 miles from Arnold Town. The isolation of the village is mainly due to its location which is in the bottom of a steep hill in a natural basin, which is horse shoe in shape. The parish covers 2,170 acres.
If you are planning a visit:
Year Inhabitants 1801 467 1851 951 1861 836 1881 803 1901 770
Find help, report problems, or contribute information