GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Langar cum Barnstone

"Langar-cum-Barnston Parish lies betwixt the Smite rivulet and the Leicestershire border, and includes the neighbouring villages and lordships of Langar and Barnston, which form but one manor and township, containing 315 inhabitants and 3,820 acres of strong fertile land, partly on red marl, but principally upon the lias limestone. The arable land has been drained about 18 inches deep. It is a freehold and tithe-free estate, all of which belongs to John Wright Esq., except three farms in Barnston, and 400 acres allotted to the rector at the enclosure, in lieu of tithes.
Langar is a small but pleasant and well-built village, and has been consideranly improved by the present lord of the manor. It lies 4 miles south by east of Bingham. Thoroton, in 1677, says Langar Hall, and nearly the whole of the parish, have lately become the estate of Mr Howe, who made a convenient park of the closes around the mansion, and stocked it well with deer. The hall was subsequently nearly all rebuilt, and ornamented with a handsome portico and pediment, with six lofty Ionic pillars the height of the house, which is in three storeys, but is now unoccupied, and a great deal of it has been taken down since it was puchased by the present lord of the manor, John Wright Esq., who bought it in 1818 of the late Lord Howe, and has since divided the Park, and cut down all its fine timber."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2484
1891 R.G. 12 / 2717
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Langar is a small village and a parish near the border with Leicestershire. It lies 120 miles north of London, 4 miles southeast of Bingham and 12 miles southeast from the city of Nottingham. The parish covers 3,870 acres and includes the village of Barnston.

The village of Langar stands at the south end of the "Vale of Belvoir". The village of Barnston(e) stands only 3/4 mile east of Langar along the road to Elton. Barnston(e) offers some great views over the Vale of Belvoir. The Smite rivulet runs past the northern border of both villages. If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Manors

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 266
1851 316
1861 320
1871 356
1881 425
1891 401
1901 485
1911 453
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 24-February-2014 - Louis R. Mills]