Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Langford is a straggling and picturesque village above the Trent marsh, 3 miles north-north-east of Newark, comprehending within its parish 146 inhabitants and 1,430 acres of land, of the rateable value of £2,453. The church, dedicated to St Bartholomew, is a perpetual curacy, of the value of £40, in the appropriation and patronage of Trinity College, Cambridge. The Rev. Joseph Mayor is the incumbent, and has about 30 acres of glebe, purchased with Queen Anne's Bounty. The church was re-pewed in 1841, at a cost of £150, raised by subscription, to which Lord Mddleton, the sole owner and lord of the manor, was a liberal contributor. Langford Hall is a handsome, modern mansion, near the village, and is the seat of Alfred Haffenden Esq. Slingsby Duncombe Esq. sold this and Wigsthorpe estate in 1832 to Lord Middleton, till which period Mr Duncombe resided at Langford Hall. [WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
- The parish was in the North Collingham sub-district of the Newark Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|CensusYear ||Piece No. |
|1841 ||H.O. 107 / 862 |
|1851 ||H.O. 107 / 2136 |
|1861 ||R.G. 9 / 2476 |
|1891 ||R.G. 12 / 2711 |
- There was a church here at the time of the Domesday Book in 1086.
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Bartholomew.
- The church was built in the 13th century to the north of the Medieval village of Langford.
- The church was built next to the Trent Riveer, but one stormy night in 1575 there was a flood and the Trent changed its course away from the church.
- The church was reroofed in 1878.
- Richard CROFT has a photograph of St. Bartholomew's Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2006.
- Tim HEATONT has a photograph of the other side of St. Bartholomew's Church on Geo-graph, taken in January, 20096.
- Richard CROFT also has a nice view of the church interior on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2006.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1696 for baptisms and burials, and from 1698 for marriages. It is in fair condition.
- Also, you can search the East Trent Genealogy site for church records.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Collingham.
- The parish was in the North Collingham sub-district of the Newark Registration District for Civil Registration.
- Civil Registration started in July, 1837.
Langford is described, in 1881, as a "Scattered village" and a parish, near the River Trent, 3 miles north of Newark and 127 miles north of London.
This place was a Roman settlement.
The Medieval village was just north of the present village of Langford.
You can see pictures of Langford which are provided by:
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK821591 (Lat/Lon: 53.122743, -0.774607), Langford which are provided by:
- This place was an ancient parish in county Nottingham and it became a Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the northern division of the ancient Newark Wapentake (Hundred) in the southern division of the county.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Newark petty session hearings every other Wednesday.
- After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, the parish became part of the Newark Poor Law Union.
|Year ||Inhabitants |
|1801 ||124 |
|1831 ||125 |
|1851 ||146 |
|1871 ||158 |
|1881 ||167 |
|1891 ||181 |
|1901 ||145 |