"Laxton or Lexington is a large parish which extends eastward from the loft summit of Cockin Hill, to Weston, in the Thurgarton Hundred, forming a bold amphitheatre, having its opening upon the East. It contains 3,955 acres of land, and comprises the large village of Laxton, the humble hamlet and chapelry of Moorhouse, near the eastern extremity, and 10 scattered farm houses called Brecks, Breckwong, Copthorne, Knapeney and Straw Hall, lying easterly; Brokelow, Saywood, Hartshorn and Laxton Lodge southerly; and Cockin Moor on the west, all within one mile and a half of the village, the whole containing 620 inhabitants. The soil is generally a strong clay of excellent corn land. More than two-thirds of the land belongs to Earl Manvers, who is lord of the manor and impropriator, and the remainder, except a few small freeholders, is the property of the Earl of Scarborough. Laxton or Lexington, three miles south by west of Tuxford, and five miles east of Ollerton, is a considerable village on a pleasant declivity, celebrated for having given the title of baron to a family of its own name, and afterwards to the Suttons of Averham."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]