"Lenton Parish takes its name from its situation upon the Len or Leen, and lies in the vale of that river, near its confluence with the Trent, on the west side of the park and meadows of Nottingham, betwixt them and the parishes of Beeston, Wollaton and Radford, except its detached member called Bestwood Park, which is distant 5 miles north from any other part of the parish. Lenton contains 2,610 acres of rich sandy land, rated at the county rate to £6,957. Gregory Gregory Esq. of Harlaxton Hall is the principal owner and lord of the manor, but Jno. Wright Esq., Lord Middleton and Henry Smith Esq. have estates here. 112 acres of the beautiful park belonging to Lord Middleton is in this parish, within which stands the handsome park gate on the Derby Road. Lenton has, however, felt the manufacturing impulse of its neighbouring town, Nottingham, having increased its population five times over during the last fifty years; for we find that in 1801 it amounted to only 893 souls, which in 1851 had swelled to 5,590 living in 1,069 houses, which includes the new villages of New Lenton and Hyson Green, which latter is principally in Radford Parish, being situated on the common land, 154 acres, which was enclosed in 1796, and divided betwixt the two parishes, though that portion alloted to Lenton is completely surrounded by the land and buildings of Radford. Lenton is a large, handsome village, 1½ miles west of Nottingham, consisting principally of beautiful villas with gardens and shrubberies, and neat cottages. Two annual fairs, granted by Henry I and Charles II, are held here on the Wednesday in Whit-week, and on November 11th, for horses, horned cattle and hogs." [WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
The Nottingham and Notts Crimean and Indian Mutiny Veteran's Association operated here. Their task was to obtain pensions and increase of pensions for those entitled. They had their own burial ground here.
63 men from Lenton served in the South African Campaign (Boer War), of whom 7 died. They are memorialized in the parish church.
There is a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2008.
Bastardy cases would be heard in the Nottingham petty session hearings.
The LAMBLEY Almshouses in Woodborough road were built in 1897 to replace the old almshouses that were built in the Derby road back in 1814.
The PLUMPTRE Hospital in Plumptre square was founded in 1392 by John de PLUMTRE to house 13 poor widows. The Hospital was rebuilt in 1823. It also served 40 out-pensioners in 1912. The Hospital closed circa 1985, but continues to function as a charity for out-pensioners.