GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Lenton

"Lenton Parish takes its name from its situation upon the Len or Leen, and lies in the vale of that river, near its confluence with the Trent, on the west side of the park and meadows of Nottingham, betwixt them and the parishes of Beeston, Wollaton and Radford, except its detached member called Bestwood Park, which is distant 5 miles north from any other part of the parish. Lenton contains 2,610 acres of rich sandy land, rated at the county rate to £6,957.
Gregory Gregory Esq. of Harlaxton Hall is the principal owner and lord of the manor, but Jno. Wright Esq., Lord Middleton and Henry Smith Esq. have estates here. 112 acres of the beautiful park belonging to Lord Middleton is in this parish, within which stands the handsome park gate on the Derby Road. Lenton has, however, felt the manufacturing impulse of its neighbouring town, Nottingham, having increased its population five times over during the last fifty years; for we find that in 1801 it amounted to only 893 souls, which in 1851 had swelled to 5,590 living in 1,069 houses, which includes the new villages of New Lenton and Hyson Green, which latter is principally in Radford Parish, being situated on the common land, 154 acres, which was enclosed in 1796, and divided betwixt the two parishes, though that portion alloted to Lenton is completely surrounded by the land and buildings of Radford.
Lenton is a large, handsome village, 1½ miles west of Nottingham, consisting principally of beautiful villas with gardens and shrubberies, and neat cottages. Two annual fairs, granted by Henry I and Charles II, are held here on the Wednesday in Whit-week, and on November 11th, for horses, horned cattle and hogs."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2447
1891 R.G. 12 / 2681 & 2682
1901 R.G. 13 / 3164
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel.

This parish and small town lies on the banks of the River Leen, 1.5 miles west of Nottingham. The parish covers just over 5,075 acres.

You can learn more about Lenton by reading the Lenton Times magazine.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Military Records

There are 13 Commonwealth War Graves in Holy Trinity's churchyard. We show them separated by WWI and WWII:

  1. Fred BONNETT, gunner, Royal Gar. Artillery, age 25, died 1 Nov. 1918.
  2. Oliver BURTON, shoeing smith, South Notts Hussars, age 24, died 15 Nov. 1914.
  3. Mrs. Alice Mary FLANNERY, section leader, Women's Roayl naval Service, age 37, died 9 Sept. 1918.
  4. Clarence Everard JOHNSON, 2nd liet., RAF, age 19, died 22 May 1918.
  5. Jack LANE, priv., Northumberland Fusiliers, age 39, died 12 Nov. 1917.
  6. Walter MOTTISHAW, rifleman, KRRC, age 23, died 3 Jan. 1916.
  7. Cecil STOKES, priv., Leic. Regt., age 19, died 21 Dec. 1918.
  8. Reginald THOMPSON, rifleman, KRRC, age 27, died 11 June 1916.
  9. John Heath WALL, gunner, Royal Gar. Artillery, age 27, died 19 Feb. 1919.
  10. John Harold WALTERS, rifleman, London Regt., age 22, died 7 Nov. 1916.
  11. Albert Issac WILSHAM, sapper, Royal Engineers, age 36, died 27 Oct. 1918.
  1. Douglas Arthur ATTEWELL, pilot officer, RAF Vol. Rsrv., age 23, died 18 June 1941.
  2. Archibald SMITH, srgt., RAF Vol. Rsrv., age 20, died 8 Feb. 1942.
Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 893
1821 1,240
1841 4,467
1851 5,589
1901 23,872
Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 10-February-2014 - Louis R. Mills]