"Littleborough is but a small village and parish, on the west bank of the Trent, five miles south of Gainsborough and 8¾ miles east by north of Retford. It contains only 84 inhabitants, and 916 acres of land, belonging chiefly to G.S. Foljambe Esq., the lord of the manor and patron of the benefice, which is a perpetual curacy, certified at £4 3s 4d, now £58, and in the incumbency of the Rev. St George Kirke.
The church, which is a Norman structure, underwent such a thorough repair in 1831-2, that it now has a modern appearance. Mr Foljambe was at the expense of renovating the chancel, and the other repairs were at the cost of the parishioners, except the new vestry and Sunday School room, which were built by the late incumbent. In the old walls are many Roman bricks, and the stones are laid in that angular manner which is distinguished by antiquities as the herring-bone style of masonry. The manor was of the King's soke of Mansfield, and the church was given by King John to the monks of Welbeck Abbey. The parish has generally a rich soil, and was enclosed in 1825, when the act was obtained for making a new turnpike from Retford to Littleborough ferry, which crosses the River Trent close to the village, near the site of a Roman Ford, which consisted of a stone pavement, protected by piles of oak, but the latter were removed some years ago by the Trent Navigation Company, so that the stones were nearly all displaced."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]