"Lowdham parish includes the three townships of Lowdham, Caythorpe and Gunthorpe, containing together 1,578 inhabitants and 2,901 acres of land, which was enclosed in 1765, when 268 acres were allotted to the Duke of Kingston and 93 to the vicar, in lieu of tithes.
Lowdham is a pleasant village, situated near the Dover Beck, six miles south-south-west of Southwell. It was of the fee of Roger de Busil, and afterwards possessed by the Lowdhams, who took their name from it, one of who was high sheriff of the county. Peter Broughton Esq. is the principal owner and lord of the manor. Charles Story Esq., Mr Samuel Abbott and Earl Manvers have estates here, and the latter is the impropriator and patron of the vicarage, which is valued in the King's books at £4 18s 4d, now £276, and is enjoyed by.the Rev. John Henry Browne B.A., who resides at the vicarage house, a neat.mansion at the north end of the village. The tithes of the woodland were commuted in 1838, when £26 9s 4d was apportioned to Earl Manvers, and £14 6s 4d. to the vicar.
The church is a neat structure, with a spire and five bells, and has some ancient monuments of the Lowdhams and Broughtons. The National School was built in 1843, and will accommodate 100 children. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists each have a chapel here."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]