GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Lowdham

"Lowdham parish includes the three townships of Lowdham, Caythorpe and Gunthorpe, containing together 1,578 inhabitants and 2,901 acres of land, which was enclosed in 1765, when 268 acres were allotted to the Duke of Kingston and 93 to the vicar, in lieu of tithes.
Lowdham is a pleasant village, situated near the Dover Beck, six miles south-south-west of Southwell. It was of the fee of Roger de Busil, and afterwards possessed by the Lowdhams, who took their name from it, one of who was high sheriff of the county. Peter Broughton Esq. is the principal owner and lord of the manor. Charles Story Esq., Mr Samuel Abbott and Earl Manvers have estates here, and the latter is the impropriator and patron of the vicarage, which is valued in the King's books at £4 18s 4d, now £276, and is enjoyed by.the Rev. John Henry Browne B.A., who resides at the vicarage house, a neat.mansion at the north end of the village. The tithes of the woodland were commuted in 1838, when £26 9s 4d was apportioned to Earl Manvers, and £14 6s 4d. to the vicar.
The church is a neat structure, with a spire and five bells, and has some ancient monuments of the Lowdhams and Broughtons. The National School was built in 1843, and will accommodate 100 children. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists each have a chapel here."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2134
1861 R.G. 9 / 2471
1891 R.G. 12 / 2707 & 2708
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Lowdham is a village and a parish near the Dover Beck. The Dover Beck and Cocker Beck both feed into the River Trent and run through the parish. The parish is138 miles north of London, 6 miles south-west of Southwell, and 8 miles north-west of Nottingham. Gunthorpe is a village and a township in this parish, lying south-south-east of Lowdham.

If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Military Records

There is one Commonwealth War Grave in St. Mary's churchyard extension from World War I:

  1. John William WATSON, priv., 9th Btn. Sherwood Foresters, age 36, died 12 Feb. 1918. Son of James WATSON.
Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year Lowdham Caythorpe Gunthorpe
1801 553 168 278
1851 930 315 351
1861 868 304 331
1881 740 294 318
1901 923 232 368
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Societies

Return to top of page

Valid HTML 4.01

[Last updated: 16-November-2014 - Louis R. Mills]

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.