GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Mansfield Woodhouse

"Mansfield Woodhouse is a respectable village and parish, nearly one and a half miles north of Mansfield. It is partly inhabited by framework knitters, but contains some good houses which have long been the residence of respectable families. The parish contains 1,972 inhabitants and 4,770 acres of land. The tithes were commuted in 1814 for £680. The Duke of Portland is principal owner, lord of the manor, and impropriator, but Francis Hall Esq., Edmund Sykes Esq., John Clark Esq and Edward Thomas Coke Esq have also estates here. In the reign of Henry VI, Sir Robert Plumpton died possessed of one bovate in this manor called Wolf-hunt land, held by the service of winding a horn and frightening the wolves in Sherwood Forest. The dwelling upon this land was called Wolf House, which is now occupied by Mr Samuel Housley.
In an ancient record, written in 1520, it is said 'that the town of Mansfield Woodhouse was burned in the year of our Lord MCCCIIII and the Kirk stepull, with the bells of the same, for the stepull was afore of tymbre work.' Before this accident the church had three aisles, but it now has only two. It is 98 feet long and 32 broad. The spire is 108 feet high and contains four bells, and a small Saints' bell, which in Catholic times was rung when the priest came to that part of the Latin service which is traslated, 'Holy! Holy! Holy! Lord God of Sabaoth!' in order that those who stayed at home might join with the congregation in the most solemn part of worship."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2423
1871 R.G. 10 / 3645
1891 R.G. 12 / 2648
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

This large village and parish lies on the western border of the old Sherwood Forest, one and a half miles north of Mansfield and 135 miles north of London. The parish covers 4,820 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Medical Records

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Population
1851 1,972
1871 2,474
1881 2,618
1891 2,819
Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 5-November-2013 - Louis R. Mills]