"Marnham contains 2,800 acres of land, including the Holme, which is divided into Cowgates. It comprises the hamlets of Ferry Marnham, Church Marnham, distant 5 miles east by south of Tuxford, and 256 inhabitants. Earl Brownlow is the principal owner and lord of the manor of Marnham, which was of the fee of Roger de Busli at the time of the Domesday. Afterwards, William de Kewles became lord of these manors, from whom they passed to the Chaworths. Thomas de Chaworth obtained, 34 Henry III, a market and fair on the decolation of St John the Baptist. Afterwards Elizabeth, the daughter and heiress of Sir George Chaworth, carried them by marriage to Sir Anthony Cope, knight.
The Hall, which stood betwixt the two villages, was the property of the Cartwrights, but sold and taken down about 60 years ago, before the death of the late patriotic Major Cartwright, who was born in it, and had many very extensive estates in this neighbourhood. A large fair is held here on September 12th, for horses, horned cattle and merchandise. One of the Chaworths, in the reign of John, granted to the monks of Radford, "free passage for themselves, their servants, and their carriages, in his ferry-boat here". The ferry is at the north village, and crosses the Trent to South Clifton.
The church is a small fabric, with a tower and three bells, dedicated to St. Wilfred."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]