GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Mattersey (or Mattersea)

"Mattersey, or Mattersea, is a genteel and very retired village and parish, on the western bank of the Idle, 4 miles south-south-east from Bawtry, and 6 miles north by west from Retford. It stands on a pleasant elevation, and has several handsome mansions. It comprises Blaco Hill, one mile south of Mattersey; Mattersey Abbey, one mile east; Mattersey Grange, one mile west; which are large farms, and Mattersey Thorpe, a hamlet half a mile west of the village. The parish is about 1½ miles in length, and contains 493 inhabitants and 2,561 acres of land, which was enclosed by an Act passed in 1770. The Rev. Christopher Nevile is the principal owner, and lord of the manor. The Abbey Farm, 150 acres, belongs to John Wormald Esq., and Mr John Walker senior, and Mr John Walker junior have estates here.
The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a handsome gothic edifice, in excellent preservation, and is a most pleasing object in the village. It has some curious carvings, which were discovered about 70 years ago, under the old pavement of the chancel, one of which represents the benevolent action of St Martin dividing his cloak. It had a chantry dedicated to St John the Baptist, and in the reign of Edward I was appropriated to Mattersey Abbey, to make amends for some losses the monks had sustained by fire."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2412
1891 R.G. 12 / 2638
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

This village and parish are about 145 miles north of London, 6 miles north of Retford and 4 miles south-east of Bawtry. The parish covers 2,344 acres and is bordered on the north and east by the River Idle. Mattersey Thorpe is a hamlet about one mile north-west of the village and Blaco Hill is a tiny hamlet one mile south-east.

The village name is often spelled as "Mattersea". If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Politics and Governance

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Population
1801 327
1811 351
1841 510
1851 493
1871 368
1881 342
1891 322
1901 371
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 5-April-2014 - Louis R. Mills]