"Misson Parish lies south of Finningley, on the north side of the Idle, bounded on the west by Yorkshire, and on the east by Lincolnshire, and is partly in the latter county, which is here so intermixed with Nottinghamshire, that the boundaries of the two counties are almost indefinible, from which circumstances the parish is supposed to have been called Misne or Myssen. It contains about 900 inhabitants and 5,783 acres of good sandy land, which was mostly enclosed in 1769, when 286a 2p were allotted to the vicar, in lieu of the small tithes, but the great tithes are still paid in kind, except on the old enclosures, which pay a composition of 2s 9d per acre. The Rev. Christopher Nevile is the improprietor and lord of the manor, and he and Tetley Maw Esq. are the principal owners, and most of the farmers are freeholders. The Lincolnshire part pays a modus of £5 9s 8d to the seigniory of Kirton, and is in the deanery and hundred of Corringham, but the land belongs to a number of freeholders.
Misson is a well-built village, on the north side of the Idle, over which there is a ferry, three miles east-by-north of Bawtry, and seven miles west of Stockwith-by-the-Trent, from which the Idle is navigable for small craft up to Bawtry. The church is a handsome building, with a nave, chancel, side aisles and tower, and stands in Nottinghamshire. The vicarage is valued in the King's books at £6 4s 4½d, but is now wort upwards of £359 per annum. It is in the patronage of the crown, and the Rev. William Thorpe is the incumbent. The vicarage is a neat house a little north-east of the church, and was rebuilt in 1852."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
Misson is a village and a parish in the very northern part of Nottinghamshire. The parish lies 151 miles north of London and 12 miles north of Retford and 3 miles east of Bawtry. The The eastern side of the parish is in the county of Lincoln and the Hundred of Corringham. The parish is bounded on the south and east by the River Idle. The parish is generally flat and low and has many cuts and drains though it. It covers 6,172 acres and includes the hamlet of Newington, about 1 mile west of Misson village.
The Idle River runs past the southern end of the village. If you are planning a visit:
|1832||John PARKIN, victualler & cattle dealer|
|1853||John PARKIN, vict.|
|1881||William OLDFIELD, carrier|
|1885||Henry WARDEN, victualler|
|1912||William Forman WHITEHEAD|
Year Inhabitants 1801 482 1841 850 1851 837 1861 803 1871 752 1881 683 1891 574 1901 608 1911 719 1921 714
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.