Misson and Newington
Misson Parish lies south of Finningley, on the north side of the Idle, bounded on the west by Yorkshire, and on the east by Lincolnshire, and is partly in the latter county, which is here so intermixed with Nottinghamshire, that the boundaries of the two counties are almost indefinible, from which circumstances the parish is supposed to have been called Misne or Myssen. It contains about 900 inhabitants and 5,783 acres of good sandy land, which was mostly enclosed in 1769, when 286a 2p were allotted to the vicar, in lieu of the small tithes, but the great tithes are still paid in kind, except on the old enclosures, which pay a composition of 2s 9d per acre. The Rev. Christopher Nevile is the improprietor and lord of the manor, and he and Tetley Maw Esq. are the principal owners, and most of the farmers are freeholders. The Lincolnshire part pays a modus of £5 9s 8d to the seigniory of Kirton, and is in the deanery and hundred of Corringham, but the land belongs to a number of freeholders.
Misson is a well-built village, on the north side of the Idle, over which there is a ferry, three miles east-by-north of Bawtry, and seven miles west of Stockwith-by-the-Trent, from which the Idle is navigable for small craft up to Bawtry. The church is a handsome building, with a nave, chancel, side aisles and tower, and stands in Notinghamshire. The vicarage is valued in the King's books at £6 4s 4½d, but is now wort upwards of £359 per annum. It is in the patronage of the crown, and the Rev. William Thorpe is the incumbent. The vicarage is a neat house a little north-east of the church, and was rebuilt in 1852.
Newington is a small village at the west end of the parish, one mile east by north of Bawtry, where there is an extensive brewing and malting establishment, which is noted for excellent porter. Like the rest of the parish, it is partly in the two counties of Nottingham and Lincoln. At Hagg Hill, near Newington, human bones are often found, and in 1831, a complete skeleton was discovered. Mr Joshua Moxon bore the expense of its being interred in the church-yard.
Misson School stands in the church-yard, and at the enclosure in 1762 was endowed with an allotment of 32 acres of land in Ruffam Car, awarded in lieu of £8 per annum, which has been previously paid out of other lands, pursuant to the wills of Thomas Mowbray and john Pluder, who built the school in 1693. The land now lets for £48 a year, besides which the master has a rent charge of 20s out of Deephole Close, left in 1700 by William Wood, and an annuity of 10s left by an unknown donor, out of land at Ruffam. For these sums the master teaches nine free scholars.
Roads &c. At the enclosure the Hagg Hill, 10a 3r 39p, was awarded for the purpose of getting gravel, sand and other materials for the reparation of the public and private roads of the parish, reserving only the herbage and crops of the said land, to be let by the trustees, and the rents to be applied in repairing the school, public bridges, drains, sewers, and other works on the common fields. The open green, at the west end of the village of Misson, was allotted for the same purpose.
Benefactions to the Poor. About 1700, Hill Lee, Thomas Richardson, Robert Drury and William Hopperwhit left several small sums, amounting to £18 13s 4d, the interest of which is paid out of the poor rates. The poor have also the yearly rent charges, viz. 10s left by William Richardson out of a farm at Everton, now belonging to John Walker Esq.; 10s left by William Hindley, out of a meadow at Misson now possessed by William Grasby; and 5s out of a house and land belonging to Mrs Jephson.
[Transcribed by Clive Henly]