"Misterton Parish is situated at the north-east angle of the county, where the River Idle and the Chesterfield Canal terminate in the Trent. It contains 1,743 inhabitants and 4,746 acres of land, of which about 636 acres are in West Stockwith township, and 654 inhabitants, which maintains its poor separately from misterton. A great part of it was formerly a swampy bog, but it is now drained and improved. In the higher parts of the parish are found both foliated and fibrous gypsum or plaster, used both for floors and ornamental work.
Misterton is a large village on the north side of the Chesterfield Canal, where there are several wharfs, within one mile of the Trent, five miles north-north-west of Gainsborough, and nine miles east of Bawtry. Its township, in which there are the farms of Cornley, Fountain Hill, Grovewood and Haxey Gate (a public house) contains about 1,100 inhabitants and 4,109a 3r of land, at the rateable value of £4,745 6s.
The church is a large ancient structure dedicated to All Saints, with a nave, chancel and side aisles."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2407|
|1871||R.G. 10 / 3443|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2633|
Misterton is a village, a township and a parish on the Chesterfield Canal in Nottinghamshire, on the border with Lincolnshire. The parish is 5 north-west of Gainsborough (Lincolnshire) and 150 miles north of the city of London. The parish also contains the township of West Stockwith.
Year Misterton West Stockwith 1801 612 530 1851 1,089 654 1871 1,132 608 1901 1,433 667
Find help, report problems, or contribute information