"Morton is a small village and parish, within the liberty of Southwell and Scrooby, 2½ miles south-east of Southwell. It contains 137 inhabitants and 500 acres of land, including a portion of 400 acres, which was an open field till 1839, when it was enclosed, two-thirds of which belong to Fiskerton, and one-third to Morton. It was of the fee of Walter de Ayncourt, and afterwards held by the Cressovers, by whom it was conveyed to Thurgarton Priory. After the Dissolution it was granted to Thomas Cooper Esq., from whose family it was bought, in 1846, by the ancestors of the present owner, John Pemberton Plumptre Esq., who is lord of the manor, impropriator, and principal owner of the soil, which is partly held under a leasehold tenure of the Chapter of Southwell.
The church, St Denis, is a small brick structure, and is a perpetual curacy united to Bleasby, the two livings being consolidated in 1841. The Prebendary of Dunham is the patron, and the Rev. Jonn William Marsh the incumbent, who also enjoys 45 acres of glebe. The tithes were commuted a few years ago for upwards of £70. In 1695, Richard Daybell left 50s yearly, for the education of four poor children of Morton and Fiskerton."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]