"Newark-Upon-Trent is an ancient and well-built market town, borough and parish, pleasantly situated in the middle of a fertile district, at the junction of the Great North Road with the turnpikes from Lincoln, Nottingham, Sheffield &c., and on the lines of the Great Northern and Midland Railways, both of which have neat and convenient stations. It is 124 miles north by west of London, 8 miles east of Southwell, 21 miles north-east by east of Nottingham, 20 miles south-south-wast of Retford, and 16 miles south-west of Lincoln, and is the capital of the hundred and deanery to which it gives name. In 1851 it contained 11,330 inhabitants and 2,080 acres of land.
The trade of the town consists principally in making malt, ale, flour, linen and smock frocks, to a considerable extent. There are in the town and neighbourhood several breweries, 20 corn mills, and a considerable number of malt kilns, and an extensive linen manufactory (Hawton Mills), where fine linen is bleached after the irish manner. The malt made in 1851 amounted to 88,065 quarters."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2478 - 2480|
|1871||R.G. 10 / 3542|
|1881||R.G. 11 / 3376|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2713 & 2714|
Newark is a municipality, a township, a market town and a parish. It sits on the Trent River, 15 miles south-west of the city of Lincoln in neighboring Lincolnshire, 17 miles north-east of Nottingham and 124 miles north of London by road. The parish covers 1,889 acres, but the Municipality is much larger than that.
If you are planning a visit:
Year Population 1801 6,730 1841 10,220 1851 11,330 1871 12,187 1881 14,083 1891 14,571 1901 14,992
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.