"Normanton-On-Soar is a picturesque village and parish in the vale of the Soar, 13 miles south by west of Nottingham, bounded on the south by Leicestershire and on the north by the Wolds. It has 390 inhabitants, and 1,543 acres of rich, loamy land, of which 243 acres were allotted in 1770 in lieu of tithes. The principal owners are John Buckley Esq., Rev. Buckley's trustees, and others. The church is an ancient building, dedicated to St james. It has a tower in the centre, surmounted by a lofty spire 96 feet high. It also has a large chancel and a capacious font, which in all probability was used in those times when it was the practice to dip the infant at baptism. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's books at £7 11s 0½d, and now enjoyed by the Rev. Joseph Powell. The manor and advowson belong to John Buckley Esq., and others, who are the successors of the late Thomas Buckley Esq., the eminent breeder and grazier. 1,000 guineas was once given for the use of one of his rams for one season. The Midland Counties Railway passes about a quarter of a mile east of the village. In forming the line, several ancient coins &c. were found near Kirk Hill. Near the Manor House formerly stood an old hall of large dimensions, which was taken down about 60 years ago. Mr Buckley's house on the hill was built with part of the old materials. This parish receives, on every fifth year, £8 6s 8d from William Willougby's charity."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|PRO Piece No||LDS Film No|
|1841||H.O. 107 / 863||#438908|
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2278||#542947|
|1871||R.G. 10 / 3259||#839279|
|1881||R.G. 11 / 3149||#1341751|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2518||#6097628|
|1901||R.G. 13 / 2979||-|
(Data supplied by Lesley Donald)
This place is a village, a township and a parish on the south-west border of the county. It is separated from Leicestershire by the River Soar and is 118 miles north of London, 2 miles north-west of Loughborough (in Leicestershire), and 12 miles south of Nottingham
The village sits on the north bank of the River Soar. If you are planning a visit:
1914 - 1919/ SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THIS VILLAGE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR/ (NAMES)/ GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS
For a photograph of the War Memorial plaque and the list of names on it, see the Nottingham County Council site.
The name Normanton is fairly common. It is Old English northman+tun, or "farmstead of the Northmen or Norwegian Vikings".
[A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
Year Males Females Total 1801 265 1841 226 202 428 1851 204 189 393 1861 178 182 360 1871 152 174 326 1881 155 167 322 1891 164 175 339 1901 161 178 339
(Data supplied by Lesley DONALD)
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.