GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Normanton on Soar

"Normanton-On-Soar is a picturesque village and parish in the vale of the Soar, 13 miles south by west of Nottingham, bounded on the south by Leicestershire and on the north by the Wolds. It has 390 inhabitants, and 1,543 acres of rich, loamy land, of which 243 acres were allotted in 1770 in lieu of tithes. The principal owners are John Buckley Esq., Rev. Buckley's trustees, and others. The church is an ancient building, dedicated to St james. It has a tower in the centre, surmounted by a lofty spire 96 feet high. It also has a large chancel and a capacious font, which in all probability was used in those times when it was the practice to dip the infant at baptism. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's books at £7 11s 0½d, and now enjoyed by the Rev. Joseph Powell. The manor and advowson belong to John Buckley Esq., and others, who are the successors of the late Thomas Buckley Esq., the eminent breeder and grazier. 1,000 guineas was once given for the use of one of his rams for one season. The Midland Counties Railway passes about a quarter of a mile east of the village. In forming the line, several ancient coins &c. were found near Kirk Hill. Near the Manor House formerly stood an old hall of large dimensions, which was taken down about 60 years ago. Mr Buckley's house on the hill was built with part of the old materials. This parish receives, on every fifth year, £8 6s 8d from William Willougby's charity."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Census

Census
Year
PRO Piece No LDS Film No
1841 H.O. 107 / 863 #438908
1851 H.O. 107/2086 #87713
1861 R.G. 9 / 2278 #542947
1871 R.G. 10 / 3259 #839279
1881 R.G. 11 / 3149 #1341751
1891 R.G. 12 / 2518 #6097628
1901 R.G. 13 / 2979 -

(Data supplied by Lesley Donald)

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

This place is a village, a township and a parish on the southwest border of the county. It is separated from Leicestershire by the River Soar and is 118 miles north of London, 2 miles north-west of Loughborough (in Leicestershire), and 12 miles south of Nottingham

The village sits on the north bank of the River Soar. If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

The name Normanton is fairly common. It is Old English northman+tun, or "farmstead of the Northmen or Norwegian Vikings".
[A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]

Return to top of page

Politics and Governance

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

  Year  Males Females Total
1801     265
1841 226 202 428
1851 204 189 393
1861 178 182 360
1871 152 174 326
1881 155 167 322
1891 164 175 339
1901 161 178 339

(Data supplied by Lesley DONALD)

Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Follow this link to find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 24-February-2014 - Louis R. Mills]