"Normanton is a pleasant village and parish, upon a declivity 4 miles south-east by east of Tuxford, and 1½ miles west of the river, to which the parish extends. It contains 359 inhabitants and 1,163a 2r 19p of land, of the rateable value of £2,061 2s 3d. The open fields were enclosed under an act passed in 1800, when 124a 3r 30p of land was awarded to the Duke of Devonshire, as impropriator, and 56a 2r 17p to the vicar, in lieu of tithes.
The church, dedicated to St Matthew, is a small edifice, with name, chancel, side aisles and tower, with three bells. A gallery was erected for the singers a few years ago, by subscription. The Rev. Edward Howell is the incumbent, and has upwards of 74 acres of glebe. The living is valued in the King's books at £4 5s, now £154.
The Duke of Devonshire sold the impropriate lands, with the advowson, to the Rev. William Doncaster, at whose death it was sold to the Rev. Robert Gamson. William de Lovetot gave the church to the priory, which he founded at Ratford. J.E. Dennison Esq. is lord of the manor, principally copyhold, on small certain fines, and courts are held at Easter and Michaelmas at Grassthorpe. Mr William Moody and Samuel Siddons Esq, and some others, have small estates in the parish."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1841||H.O. 107 / 866|
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2417|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2642|
This village, township and parish parish lie just 3 miles north of Carlton on Trent, 4 miles south-east from Tuxford and 130 miles north of London. The parish in just west of the River Trent and covers 1,110 acres.
If you are planning a visit:
Year Population 1801 286 1851 388 1861 402 1871 360 1901 305
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.