"North Leverton Parish has 336 inhabitants and 1,513a 1r 12p of land, extending from Welham to Hablesthorpe, with which latter parish it is so connected that one church serves the both, and the common land of each was enclosed under one Act of Parliament passed in 1795, when an allotment of 149a 3r 18p was awarded to the Prebendary of North Leverton, in Southwell Collegiate Church, as a commutation of the appropriated tithes. and 79a 2r 13p to the vicar, in lieu of small tithes. G.S. Foljambe Esq. is lord of the manor and a small owner. William Mason Esq. is lessee of the prebendal land, and owner of a great part of the parish, which in the Domesday Book was called Legreton, and certified as a berne of the Archbishop of York's great soc of Laneham. Lord Middleton, Benjamin Walker Esq., the trustees of the late John Sharpe Esq., and others have estates in the parish.
North Leverton is a good village five miles east by north of Retford, but the houses at the east end of it are in Hablesthorpe parish. The Lincoln branch of the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway passes through the parish, and has a small station about half a mile from the village. The church has a nave, side aisles, tower and three bells, and in 1847 was thoroughly cleaned, repaired and re-pewed, at a cost of about £400, a great portion of which was given by the vicar, including a new organ, also put up at his expense."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1841||H.O. 107 / 849|
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2414|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2639|
The parish, near the River Trent, covers about 2,400 acres and includes the hamlets of Habblesthorpe and Coates.
Year North Leverton Hablesthorpe 1801 270 107 1851 336 103 1901 285 119
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.