GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

North Wheatley

"North Wheatley is a considerable village and parish on a steep declivity on the Gainsborough Road, five miles north-east from Retford, and five miles south-west from Gainsborough. The parish contains 427 inhabitants and 2,538 acres of land. Lord Middleton is principal owner. John Mee Esq. (Retford), John Nettleship Esq. (Tickhill) and several others have estates, besides several resident owners. Lord Wenlock is lord of the manor, which is mostly on copyhold tenure, paying a fine on the death or change of tenant, equal to one and a half years rent. William Heaton Esq. of Gainsborough is steward of the manor, and courts are held annually in May and November. At The Domesday Survey, part of Wateley was a berne of the Archbishop of York's soke of Laneham, and the rest belonged to the King's soke of Mansfield, and was of the fee of Roger de Busli.
The church, dedicated to St Peter, appears to have been erected in the 16th century. It has a tower with five bells, but the chancel was rebuilt in 1824. Lord Middleton is patron, and has also the impropriation of two-thirds of the great tithes, but the other third belongs to the vicarage, which was valued in the King's books at £3 18s 10½d, now £246, and is enjoyed by the Rev. Charles Walter Hudson. The open fields were enclosed under an act passed in 1837, and the tithe was commuted in 1838 for £620, of which £370 was apportioned to Lord Middleton as impropriator, and £250 to the vicar. The Rector of Clayworth received the tithe from 59 acres of land in the parish. The Methodists have a neat chapel, erected in 1836, and a National School was erected in 1826 by the Rev. F. Hewgill, at that time vicar. A feast and a hiring for servants is held on the second Thursday in November, when the green is crowded with visitors."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire." 1853]

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2412
1891 R.G. 12 / 2638
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

North Wheatley is both a village and a parish about 5 miles north-east of East Retford, 5 miles south-west of Gainsborough in Lincolnshire and 146 miles north of London. The parish covers almost 2,200 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Manors

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Military Records

For a list of the names on the War Memorial, see the Southwell Churches History Project site.

Peter BOOTH has a photograph of the War Memorial Plaque, but it's a bit hard to read.

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Population
1801 371
1831 435
1851 427
1861 461
1871 406
1901 385
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 18-December-2013 - Louis R. Mills]