"Nottingham, the principal seat and emporium of the lace and hosiery manufactures, is an ancient, populous and well-built market and borough town, as well as being the capital of the shire and archdeaconry to which it gives its name, It is in the diocese of Lincoln, and in the midland circuit of England. It occupies a picturesque situation on a sandy rock, which rises in broken declivities, and in some places in precipitous, above the north bank of the little River Leen which, at a short distance to the south-east, falls into the River Trent, near the opposite locks of the Grantham and Nottingham canals, and a little below that magnificent and noble structure, the Trent bridge, which is connected to Nottingham by a flood road, raised at great expense above the intervening meadows, which are often subject to inundation. There is great reason to believe that anciently the River Trent covered all the vale, and that the tide flowed up to Nottingham, which certainly is one of the most ancient towns in England, but its origin is hid in the impenetrable gloom which is cast over the aborigines of Britain.
The town holds a central situation betwixt Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Portsmouth to the north and south, and betwixt Newcastle-under-Lyne and Boston to the west and east. It is in the south-western division of Nottinghamshire, at the junctions of the hundreds of Broxtow, Thurgarton and Rushcliffe, at a distance 125 miles north-west of London, 80 miles south of York, 20 miles south-west by west of Newark, 14 miles south of Mansfield, 15 miles north by east of Derby, 27 miles north of Leicester, and 39 miles south by east of Sheffield, and is at 53 degrees north latitude, and at 1 degree 13 minutes west longitude from the meridian of Greenwich."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
||H.O. 107 / 869 - 871
||R.G. 9 / 2457
||R.G. 10 / 3513
||R.G. 11 / 3351
||R.G. 12 / 2692
||R.G. 13 / 3180 thru 3187
There were three Anglican parishes in Nottingham (taken from White's 1853 Directory and provided by [John Mellors]:
- St Mary's Parish - largest of the three parochial divisions of the Town, and county of the Town of Nottingham as it contains about four fifths of the buildings and population. It includes all of the buildings and land on the south side of the (River) Leen, betwixt the Trent and the parishes of Sneinton & Lenton; and all that part of the town on the North Side of the Leen, lying east of Sussex St, Middle Hill, Market St, & Fletchergate; whence its boundary turns westward, and includes all the buildings north of Bottle Lane, Poultry, Timber Hill, Beast Market Hill, Chapel Bar, and the Park until it joins the parish of Radford.
- St Nicholas Parish - averages about 500 yds in length and 250 in breadth. It is bounded on the West by Brewhouse Yard, the Castle Wall, Standard Hill, the General Infirmary and Park Row; and on the North by Chapel Bar, Angel Row & Beast Market Hill; whence its boundary, including the greater part of Friar Lane passes in an irregular line behind the Friends Meeting House and Independent Chapel across Castle Gate to Greyfriar Gate down which it passes to the Leen; which forms the southern limit of the parish.
- St Peter Parish - the smallest of the 3 is encompassed by St Mary & St Nicholas parishes and averages about 450 yards in length and 200 yards in breadth. It extends from Timber Hill, the Poultry, and Bottle Lane to the North Bank of the Leen and is bounded on the east by Sussex St, Middle Hill, Middle Pavement and the buildings behind Market St & Fletcher Gate; and on the West by Grey Friar Gate, the Independent Chapel and Friends Meeting House and the North end of Friar Lane.
There is a copy of the BADDER & PEAT 1745 map which shows the streets. For more detail, see:
If you are planning a visit:
- The national grid reference is SK 5641.
- You'll want an Ordinance Survey Explorer map, which has 2.5 inches to the mile scale.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
- The Nottingham Post has replaced the Nottingham Evening Post. The first edition was printed by Thomas FORMAN on 1 May 1878. In 1963, the Nottingham Evening News merged with the Post.
- There is a monthly Bygones paper, published by the above, which features stories on the history of Nottingham.
- For online news, try the This is Nottingham site.
- Unwin's Almshouse, established in 1817, allowed ten paupers to seek refuge here at 3s per week and two tons of coal per year.
- After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became a part of the Nottingham Poor Law Union.
- Nottingham High School, Waverley Mount, Nottingham, NG7 4ED. Telephone: (0115) 978 6056
- The Nottingham Bluecoat School and Technology College, Aspley Lane, Nottingham, NG8 5GY.
- Beechdale Road, Aspley, Nottingham, NG8 3EZ. Tele: (0115) 929 6251
- The Shepherd School, Harvey Road Bilborough Nottingham NG8 3BB. Tele: (0115) 915 3265. For over thirty years they have provided education & provision for pupils with severe and profound learning difficulties.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Last updated: 19-October-2011 - Louis R. Mills]