Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Nottingham St Mary
"St Mary's parish is the largest of the three parochal divisions of the town, and county of the town of Nottingham, as it contains about four-fifths of the buildings and population, and the whole of the forest and burgess lands. It includes all the buildings and land on the south side of the Leen, betwixt the Trent and the parishes of Sneinton and Lenton, and all that part of the town on the north side of the Leen, lying east of Sussex Street, Middle Hill, Market Street and Fletchergate; whence the boundary turns westward, and includes all the buildings north of Bottle Lane, Poultry, Timber Hill, Beastmarket Hill, Chapel Bar and the Park, until it joins the parish of Radford. Its principal streets are the High Pavement, St Mary's Gate, Stoney Street, Carlton Stret, George Street, Pelham Street, Clumber Street, Parliament Street, Derby Road and Mansfield Road. Its most important public buildings consist of the Exchange, the Post Office, the Town Hall, the churches of St Mary, St Paul, Trinity and St John; St Barnabas Catholic Church, Wesleyan Chapel, and many other dissenting places of worship; the Dispensary, the Theatre, the Grammar, National, Lancasterian and British Schools; Town Gaol and House of Correction &c.&c. The County Hall and Prison are within the boundary, but the ground on which they stand is exempted from the jurisdiction of the town, by a charter of Henry VI." [WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
- St Mary, High Pavement, Nottingham, Church of England
- The parish was in the St. Mary sub-district of the Nottingham Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
||H.O. 107 / 869 - 870
||H.O. 107 / 2131 - 2133
||R.G. 9 / 2463
||R.G. 12 / 2690 thru 2704
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary the Virgin.
- The church was built on what is known as the "High Pavement".
- The church is also known as "St. Mary in the Lace Market".
- The ecclesiastical parish wasn't established until 1771.
- In 1843 the tower was saved from collapse.
- The church was restored in 1867.
- The church was restored again during 1873-1891.
- The church seats 1,300.
- The church is the largest medieval building in Nottingham.
- The church is Grade I listed with British Heritage.
- David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of St. Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2011.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1567 and is in good condition.
- The church is in the rural deanery of Mansfield.
- Mick GARRATT has a photograph of the Unitarian Church on Geo-graph, taken in Septemberh, 2006. Alas, the Unitarians have left the building and it now functions as a Pub!
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in teh St. Mary sub-district of the Nottingham Registration District.
This parish comprises the southern side of Nottingham city.
You can see pictures of Nottingham St Mary's which are provided by:
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the old Lace Market area on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2007.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK577397 (Lat/Lon: 52.951564, -1.142638), Nottingham St Mary's which are provided by:
- David LALLY has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2010.
- This place was an ancient parish in Nottingham county and it became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- All of the ecclesiastical and ancient parishes of Nottingham city became a single modern Civil Parish in 1897.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Nottingham petty session hearings.
- St Mary's parish set up workhouse in 1723 on land between York Street and Mansfield Road.
- By 1808, the building had deteriorated and the parish began to plan for a new workhouse. Initially, a larger site on Dog Kennel Hill was considered, but eventually the replacement was built on the old site at a cost of more than £5,000.
- In 1819, in the midst of a depression and high unemployment in Nottingham, the parish appointed Absalom BARNETT as its full-time Overseer. Barnett introduced a variety of new measures in the parish's treatment of the poor. He ended all wage supplements, allowances for large families, or the payment of rents. Able-bodied unemployed were offered relief through entry into the workhouse.
- Under Barnett's plan, the workhouse capacity of 400 was quickly exceeded and the able-bodied soon were offered employment outside the workhouse. The work was low-paid.
- After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became a part of the Nottingham Poor Law Union.
- The York Street workhouse was demolished in 1896 to make way for the Victoria Station.