"St. Nicholas' Parish averages about 500 yards in length and 250 in breadth. It is bounded on the west by Brewhouse Yard, the castle wall, Standard Hill, the General infirmary and Park Row; and on the north by Chapel Bar, Angel Row and beastmarket Hill; whence its boundary, including the greater part of Friar Lane, passes in an irregular line behind the Friends' Meeting House and Independent Chapel, across Castle Gate to Greyfriargate, down which it passes to the Leen, which forms the southern limit of the parish. Its principal streets are Castle Gate, Houndsgate, Park Street, Rutland Street, St James' Street, Mount Street and Park Row. It has its parish church, several chapels and other public buildings, one of which is Bromley House.
St Nicholas' Church is a neat, brick edifice ornamented with stone, and like St Peter's, shaded by a number of trees. It occupies a pleasant situation on the south side of Castlegate, whence its large burial ground extends to Chesterfield Street and Rosemary Lane." [WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
In 1723, St Nicholas' parish erected a workhouse on Gillyflower Hill.
In 1813, The Gillyflower Hill workhouse was declared unfit for habitation and a large building at the bottom of Park Row was bought as a replacement. The old building was divided into tenements, known as Jessamine Cottages, and continued in use until 1945 when they were demolished.