Nottingham, St Nicholas
"St Nicholas' Parish averages about 500 yards in length and 250 in breadth. It
is bounded on the west by Brewhouse Yard, the castle wall, Standard Hill, the
General infirmary and Park Row; and on the north by Chapel Bar, Angel Row and
beastmarket Hill; whence its boundary, including the greater part of Friar
Lane, passes in an irregular line behind the Friends' Meeting House and
Independent Chapel, across Castle Gate to Greyfriargate, down which it passes
to the Leen, which forms the southern limit of the parish.Its principal streets
are Castle Gate, Houndsgate, Park Street, Rutland Street, St James' Street,
Mount Street and Park Row. It has its parish church, several chapels and other
public buildings, one of which is Bromley House.
St Nicholas' Church is a neat, brick edifice ornamented with stone, and like St
Peter's, shaded by a number of trees. It occupies a pleasant situation on the
south side of Castlegate, whence its large burial ground extends to Chesterfield
Street and Rosemary Lane."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
||H.O. 107 / 871
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Nicholas.
- The national grid reference is SK 5641.
- You'll want an Ordnance Survey Explorer map, which has 2.5 inches to the mile scale.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
- In 1723, St Nicholas' parish erected a workhouse on Gillyflower Hill.
- In 1813, The Gillyflower Hill workhouse was declared unfit for habitation and a large building at the bottom of Park Row was bought as a replacement. The old building was didvided into tenements, known as Jessamine Cottages, and continued in use until 1945 when they were demolished.
- After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became a part of the Nottingham Poor Law Union.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Last updated: 29-May-2010 - Louis R. Mills]