"St Peter's parish, the smallest of the three parishes of Nottingham, is encompassed by St Mary's and St Nicholas' parishes, and averages about 450 yards in length and 200 in breadth. It extends from Timber Hill, the Poultry and Bottle Lane, to the north bank of the Leen; and is bounded on the east by Sussex Street, Middle Hill, Middle Pavement, and the buildings behind Market Street and Fletchergate; and on the west by Greyfriargate, the Independent Chapel and friends' Meeting House, and the north end of Friar Lane. Its principal streets are Bridlesmithgate, Timber Hill and the Poultry. Its public edifices are the Parish Church and the Assembly Rooms.
The Church St Peter's Church stands upon the declivity which falls westward from Bridlesmithgate to the foot of Wheelergate, Houndsgate, and the Low Pavement. It is a Gothic structure with a tower at the west end, supporting a spire, and containing a peal of eight bells cast in 1771, and said to be the best attuned and the most melodious of any within many miles." [White's Directory of Nottinghamshire 1853]
|1841||H.O. 107 / 871|
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2466 thru 2468|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2683 & 2701|
Rita Effnert has kindly provided us with an index of Marriages for 1572 through 1813. The file is a Comma-Separated Value (or .csv) file, suitable for import into MS Excel or Works as a database:
There are some online resources as well:
Year Inhabitants 1801 2,732 1841 5,605 1871 4,906 1881 4,387 1891 3,362
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.