Downtime: The Genuki web service will be unavailable on Tues 24 Apr from 10:00 BST for approximately two hours whilst some software updates are installed.

Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Ollerton

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

Ollerton

topup

Archives and Libraries

topup

Cemeteries

  • Ollerton Cemetery was consecrated in October, 1863, and is on Boughton Road. It was managed by the Burial Board of the Parish Council.
     
  • Lynne KIRTON has a photograph of the Sherwood Forest Crematorium memorial garden at Geo-graph, taken in January, 2008. The Crematorium is on the south side of Ollerton village, just east of the Newark Road. The Crematorium opened in January, 2006.
     

topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Kneesal sub-district of the Southwell Registration District.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2473
1871 R.G. 10 / 3535
1891 R.G. 12 / 2709

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Ollerton area or see them printed on a map.

topup

Church History

  • There is no mention of a church here in the 1086 Domesday Book.
     
  • There was a medieval church built here, but records are scant.
     
  • There are gravestones in the churchyard that pre-date the present church structure.
     
  • The church was for many years a Chapel of Ease for Edwinstowe parish, which lies to the west.
     
  • The church church did not separate from Edwinstowe until 1888.
     
  • The church was rebuilt around 1780.
     
  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Giles.
     
  • The church seats 280.
     
  • The church was restored in late 1861 - early 1862.
     
  • The church is Grade II listed with British Heritage.
     
  • Geoff DUNN has a photograph of St. Giles Church on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2006.
     
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of St. Giles Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2006.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST also has a photograph of the Church of St. Giles on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2014.
     
  • The churchyard was declared full in 1862.
     
  • In 1931 the Church of St. Paulinus was opened in New Ollerton at the behest of the Butterley Company, local mineowners. There is no burial churchyard for St. Paulinus. The church sits in the middle of a large round-about, which is known locally as "Church Circle".
     
  • Geoff DUNN has a photograph of St. Paulinus Church on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2006.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1813.
     
  • The International Genealogical Index (IGI) includes records from this parish for the period 1592-1854.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Worksop.
     
  • A Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built on the Boughton Road in 1868.
     
  • A Primitive Methodist chapel was built on the Newark (Rufford) Road in 1869. This is now a private dwelling.
     
  • David BEVIS has a photograph of the Primitive Methodist chapel on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2011.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Kneesal sub-district of the Southwell Registration District.
     
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
topup

Description and Travel

Ollerton is a township, a parish and a small market town, which sits on the A616 arterial road between Worksop and Newark, 13 miles north-west of Newark. The parish covers 1,708 acres.

The River Maun runs past the north-west side of the town and joins the Rainworth Beck nearby. If you are planning a visit:

  • The A614 trunk road skirts the town to the west.
     
  • Rail service started in 1897 and ceased in 1955. In August, 2009, the line was re-opened to non-passenger service.
     
  • David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of a portion of Ollerton Village on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2015.
     

You can see pictures of Ollerton which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ollerton to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Ollerton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • The Ollerton Coal pit closed in 1994.
     
  • J. THOMAS has a photograph of the Plough Inn, New Ollerton on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2015.
     
  • J. THOMAS also has a photograph of the Snooty Fox, Ollerton on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2015.
     
topup

Manors

  • Ollerton Hall was built by Colonel MARKHAM. Captain Henry SAVILE was the resident and owner in 1881.
     
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of Ollerton Hall on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2010.
     
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of Ollerton Hall on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2010.
     
topup
topup

Military History

  • Ollerton had to provide billets for the South Notts Hussars in early March, 1915, for additional training.
     
  • Andy STEPHENSON has a photograph of the Mill Stream and War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2010.
     
  • Stephen McKAY also has a photograph of the War Memorials on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2014.
     
  • And David HALLAM-JONES also has a photograph of the War Memorials on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2015.
     
  • The Commonwealth War Grave Commission tells us that there are 23 War Graves (22 English and 1 Dutch) in Ollerton Cemetery.
     
topup

Military Records

The War Memorial on the island was unveiled by Lady Savile in September 1920. The names of men from the village who died in the Second World War have been added to the memorial together with the name of a soldier killed in Northern Ireland in 1989. The Royal British Legion installed a stained glass window in the parish church of St Giles in the year 2000; the window depicts the memorial cross.

The people honored by the memorial are listed at the Nottinghamshire County web site.

There are the men from World War II in Commonwealth War Graves in Ollerton cemetery (Royal Canadian Airforce listed first, then RAAF,, then RNZAF, then RAF, etc.:

  1. Srgt. Joseph Louis BARBER, RCAF, died 4 Feb 1944, age 21
  2. Pilot Off. James Alexander BROWN, RCAF, died 29 July 1942, age 20
  3. Pilot Off. John CHRISTIE, RCAF, died 12 Oct. 1943
  4. Srgt. John Elliott COOMBS, RCAF, died 8 Oct. 1942, age 23
  5. Flying Off. Harold Gordon DAYMAN, RCAF, died 12 Oct. 1943, age 24
  6. Flt. Srgt. Kenneth Ross FALLOWDOWN, RCAF, died 22 Nov. 1943, age 21
  7. Pilot Off. Alexander GRANT, RCAF, died 22 Nov. 1943, age 33
  8. Pilot Off. Richard Sydney HORSWILL, RCAF, died 2 July 1943, age 24
  9. W.O.II Harold Winthrop JOHNSON, RCAF, died 22 Nov. 1943, age 30
  10. Srgt. Henry Fred PUDER, RCAF, died 22 Apr. 1943
  11. Srgt. Melvyn Harry SMITH, RCAF, died 14 Apr. 1942, age 21
  12. Srgt. Weston Ross WALDRON, RCAF, died 4 Feb. 1944, age 20
  13. Flt. Srgt. Clifford Desmond JONES, RAAF, died 3 Feb. 1944, age 20
  14. Srgt. Richard John FULLER, RNZAF, died 8 May 1942
  15. Srgt. Vincent Xavier KIRBY, RNZAF, died 15 Oct. 1942, age 23
  16. Srgt. John Llewellyn LLOYD, RNZAF, died 15 Oct. 1942, age 22
  17. Srgt. Emory Andrew MASON, RNZAF, died 15 Oct. 1942, age 21
  18. Srgt. Ivan Raymond STYLES, RNZAF, died 15 Oct. 1942, age 27
  19. Aircr. 2nd, Edward Claude ALTON, RAFVR, died 28 July 1942, age 20
  20. Srgt. Peter BALDWIN, RAFVR, died 9 Aug. 1943, age 19
  21. Srgt. Roland Walter BALLAUFF, RAFVR, died 9 Aug. 1943, age 21
  22. Flying Off. Oscar Geoffrei DE JONGH, RAFVR, died 22 Nov. 1943, age 26
topup

Names, Geographical

The parish and village also appear in old records as "Alleton" or "Alretun",

topup

Politics and Government

  • This place was an ancient chapelry and township in Edwinstowe parish in county Nottingham. It became a separate, modern Civil Parish in December, 1866.
     
  • The parish was in the Hatfield division of the ancient Bassetlaw Wapentake (Hundred) in the northern division of the county.
     
  • The parish was in the pariliamentary borough of East Retford.
     
  • This Civil Parish was enlarged in April, 1957, by gaining 45 acres from Edwinstowe Civil Parish.
     
  • Ollerton formed a Town Council in 1990 and an amalgamation with Boughton took place in 1999.
     
  • You may contact the Ollerton Town Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT funded to help you with family history searches.
     
  • Jonathan THACKER provides a photograph of the Ollerton and Boughton Town Hall on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2015.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Worksop petty session hearings.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act reforms, this parish became part of the Southwell Poor Law Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1861 932
1871 831
1881 818
topup

Schools

  • The National School was built in 1842 to hold 200 children.
     
  • Heather WILKINSON has a photograph of the Ollerton National School Students. Heather believes the photo is from around 1905 to 1910.
     
  • The Free School for boys was built before 1881 on Wellow Road.