GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Ordsall

"Ordsall Parish comprises the lordship of Ordsall, on the west side of the Idle, and the lordship of Thrumpton, on the east side of that river. These lordships form one township, and contain 1,342 inhabitants, and 1,925 acres of rich, sandy land, part of which was not enclosed till 1804. The Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire, and the Great Northern railways, pass through, and both of the stations are in this parish, the particulars of which will be found in the Directory of East Retford.
Hops. Mr Young says, some years ago, two spirited agriculturists of this parish (Mr Mason and George Brown Esq.) drained, at a small expense, by open cuts, a deep black bog, which has been let for 3s per acre, and planted it with hops, in squares of six feet, and succeeded so well as actually to clear £62 per acre in one year."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2416
1891 R.G. 12 / 2641
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

This village and parish is 138 miles north of London and 15 miles east of Worksop. The parish is intersected by the Chesterfield Canal. The parish covered 1,989 acres and included the hamlet of Whitehouses and the township of Thrumpton.

The village is enveloped by East Retford. If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 560
1851 1,342
1861 1,911
1871 2,473
1881 3,011
1891 3,852
1901 5,199
1911 5,690
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 27-December-2013 - Louis R. Mills]