Orston is a village, township, and a parish bounded on the west by the Smite River (or Rivulet) and on the east by Leicestershire. The village stands 115 miles north of London, 5 miles north-east of Bingham, and 9 miles south-west of Newark-on-Trent. The parish covers about 1,940 acres.
If you are planning a visit:
- Start your visit in Newark on Trent, take the A46 south-east out of town and turn east (left) onto the A52. At Elton, turn north (left) and drive one mile to Orston.
- Robert DANYLEC has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2005. Stop in and ask for a schedule of forth-coming events. The Hall can be hired for a family re-union!.
- Visit the Orston village site funded by the Orston Parish Counci!.
- The village has been known to flood after heavy winter rains, so be prepared.
You can see pictures of Orston which are provided by:
John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72, tells us:
ORSTON, a village and a parish in Bingham district, Notts. The village stands near the river Smite, ¾ of a mile N of Elton r. station, 1½ W of the boundary with Leicestershire, and 4¼ E by N of Bingham; and has a post-office under Nottingham. The parish comprises 1, 940 acres. Real property, £2, 897. Pop., 424. Houses, 105. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Earl Manvers. A mineral spring is near the village. Gypsum abounds and is manufactured into plaster. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Thoroton, in the diocese of Lincoln.value, £200. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The church presents a mixture of Norman and pointed architecture, and has a low tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
Ask for a calculation of the distance from Orston to another place.
Click here for a list of nearby places.
You can see the
administrative areas in which Orston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK771410 (Lat/Lon: 52.960837, -0.853645), Orston which are provided by: