"Orston Parish includes the townships and chapelries of Scarrington, Thoroton, and also part of Flawborough, which is mostly in Staunton parish, in the hundred of Newark. It contains 868 inhabitants and 2,150 acres of land, in the vale of the Smite river. Orston and the two chapelries maintain their poor separately, and in the population returns are entered as three distinct parishes, though they have long been united under the same pastor.
Orston village and township contains 1,850 acres of land, on the south side of the Smite, 5 miles east of Bingham. It was enclosed in 1796, when 272a 2r 31p were allotted to the appropriators, and 68a 3r 20p to the vicar, as a commutation for all the tithes. Earl Manvers is lord of the manor, and owner of about 200 acres, but the largest proprietor is William Marshall Esq., who has 500 acres. Near the village is a chalybeate spring, moted for its tonic qualities. Mr John Henry Fisher resides at the Hall, which is a neat residence. The Nottingham and Ambergate branch of the Great Northern Railway has a neat station about half a mile from Orston."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2483|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2717|
Orston is a village, township, and a parish bounded on the west by the Smite River (or Rivulet). The village stands 5 miles northeast of Bingham, 9 miles southwest of Newark-on-Trent and 116 miles north of London. The parish covers about 1,940 acres.
If you are planning a visit:
Year Orston Scarrington Thoroton 1801 351 152 110 1851 461 230 177 1861 424 1871 464 1881 484 1891 408 1901 326 178 88
Find help, report problems, or contribute information