"Plumtree is a small, pleasant village and parish, on the Melton Mowbray Road, 5½ miles south south east of Nottingham, and was formerly the capital of a wapentake of its own name. It contains 306 inhabitants and about 1,812 acres of land. The parish is divided up into three townships of Plumtree, Normanton on the Wolds and Clipston. W.S. Burnside Esq. is lord of the manor and principal owner, and also patron of the rectory, which is valued in the King's books at £19 9s 7d, now £1,113, and is enjoyed by the Rev. John Burnside. At the enclosure 446 acres of land was allotted in lieu of tithes.
The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was re-pewed, a new pulpit added, and the gallery enlarged in 1818, at a cost of £300. The chancel contains a very handsome painting of the crucifixion, belonging to the worthy rector. A school room was built in 1840 by W.E. Elliott Esq. The poor have the interest of £34, left in 1755 by Richard Fritchett and an unknown donor. The feast is on the first Sunday after Trinity." [WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
This parish, township and village lies 5.5 miles south-east of Nottingham and 13 miles north-west of Melton Mowbray. The parish covers 4,376 acres and includes the three townships of Plumtree, Normanton-on-the-Wolds and Clipstone-on-the-Wolds.
If you are planning a visit:
By automobile, take the A606 trunk road, heading south out of Nottingham for about 6 miles.
Kate JEWELL has a photograph of the village centre on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2008.