"Radcliffe On Trent is a large and well-built village and parish, six miles east by south of Nottingham, remarkable for its very romantic scenery, being situated upon a lofty cliff on the south bank of the Trent, from which it has its name, and which affords it some extensive and beautiful prospects over the vale, watered by that broad and meandering river. It contains 259 houses, 1,273 inhabitants and about 1,873 acres of fertile land, which was enclosed in 1788, when the tithes were exonerated by an allotment of 100 acres to the impropriator, and 40 acres to the vicar. Earl Manvers is proprietor of nearly all the land, and lord of the manor. He is also patron of the vicarage, which is valued in the King's books at £4 12s 6d, now at £198, and has received two augmentations from Queen Anne's Bounty, with which 26 acres of land have been purchased.
The Church, which was anciently appropriated to Thurgaton priory, is dedicated to St. Mary, and was thoroughly repaired, with the addition of a gallery and 195 free seats, in 1829, by subscription and a gift from the society for building and enlarging churches, and in 1862 it was re-pewed aud a new stone pulpit and reading desk added, at a cost of £300. raised by subscription. It has a nave and chancel, with a tower and four bells, and had, lying in a niche, “a wooden figure of Stephen Radcliffe, said to be the founder,” which the loyal inhabitants dressed to represent Bonaparte, and was burnt on the news of one of the Peninsular victories. The Rev. Robert Burgess, M. A., is the incumbent and resides iu the vicarage house, besides which here are several other handsome modern mansions.
The feast is on the Sunday after September 19th."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]