"Radford Parish is bounded on the south by Lenton and Nottingham, and has shared so largely with the latter in manufacturing spirit, that it now ranks the second most populous parish in the county, though it does not comprise more than 600 acres of land, belonging to numerous freeholders. Gregory Gregory Esq. of Harlaxton Hall is lord of the manor and impropriator. At the enclosure in 1768, Gregory de Linge Gregory Esq., as lay impropriator, had an allotment of 43a 2r 28p of land, and in 1796 an allotment of 6a 1r 16p for the tithe and 6a 3r 11p as lord of the manor, and 1a 2p 20p was awarded to the Surveyors of the Highways. The parish contains, in 1851, 2,600 houses, and 12,635 inhabitants, of whom 6,065 are males and 6,570 females. Radford was given by Wm. Peveril to the Priory which he founded at Lenton and still continues a parcel of that manor. Village and Townships Radford Old Village. 1½ miles north west by west of Nottingham, is situated on the river Leen. The church, dedicated to St Peter, was rebuilt in 1812 at a cost of £2,000. It is a neat Gothic structure, with a gallery and a tower at the west end. The living is a vicarage, valued in the King's books at £3 9s 4½d. now £293. the crown is the patron, and the Rev. Samuel Cresswell incumbent. The church yard was enlarged by adding about 3 roods of land in April 1844, and erecting a new stone wall around it at a cost of about £300. In digging the foundation of this wall, an ancient key, fragments of columns &c., were discovered, supposed to have belonged to the former church, erected about the 11th century. The Wesleyan chapel, built in 1805, and enlarged in 1828, will seat about 400 persons, and there are in the other villages in the parish thirteen other dissenting chapels." [WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
Radford is both a village and a parish just north of Nottingham city, 128 miles north of London and 9 miles north of Loughborough. The parish covered only 600 acres and has been incorporated into Nottingham city.
If you are planning a visit:
By automobile, take the A609 arterial road west out of Nottingham city centre. The A609 bisects the village about 3 miles west of the city centre.
You can see pictures of Radford which are provided by:
"Pte John JARVIS 8th Sherwood Foresters 123 Salisbury street Radford killed in action Nov 12th (1915) aged 17 years." John was buried at Suvla Bay. Served in the 9th Battalion, Notts and Derby Rgt., died (according to CWGC) on 13 Nov 1915.